Friday, May 6, 2016

How a Beach Ball Ruined My Cousin's Childhood

^Am I throwing the Frisbee or catching it? The world may never know...^


^photos above taken my my awesome Aunt Mary!^
A couple weeks ago, Dad, Mom, Roby and I piled into the car for a week in Duck, North Carolina (we were to meet up there with our Aunt Mary, Uncle Jimmy, & cousins Ben & Matthew. our Aunt JoJo & her boyfriend, Bobby were set to arrive at the beach house at two in the morning.) . We were all so excited. Most of our conversations were centered around "on our trip we should..." Do you know that excitement, that just lingers? Like, no matter what happens, you'll always be happy and excited? That is one of the reasons I love Christmas. ;)

Anyway, we were super excited. :)




If I were to describe our trip in one word it would be adventurous. I faced my fears, laughed a lot, and made some amazing memories. One of the things we did was climb the lighthouse. It had been Aunt Mary's dream to climb one and it was the main thing she wanted to do while on the trip.

My first thoughts were, "Oh, a lighthouse? That's pretty cool." But, apparently I have an extreme fear of heights. The dark green stairs had little holes in them so you could see all. the. way. to the bottom.

Prior to going to the lighthouse, I was having a pretty clumsy day. I almost tripped over my own feet several times, and while at the beach I was I was playing run-away-from-the-waves. I was running backwards, and I was like "oh, look at me! I'm running backwards!" Immediately following, I toppled backwards and got all wet. Oh, my life. :D
Anyway, while climbing up the lighthouse, my legs were shaking, and I was repeating to myself, "don't look down. don't look down..." Of course, I looked down and freaked myself out.



The view at the top was breathtaking... but I didn't really get to enjoy it. I held on to those railings SO. TIGHT. ;)
We came face-to-face with this stylish little goat on our way out.



Games and fun back at the beach house. See that pink bear in the background? That's Lexi's (our dog's). It's her most prized possession. No touchies.




See that ball in Roby's hand? I have a really funny story about that. My Aunt JoJo got it at Walmart. Apparently, it's supposed to be a light-up beach ball. On the packaging, the ball looks HUGE and really bright and lit-up... well, when she opened it, and someone blew it up--turns out, it's really small, and all it has lighting it up is this little glow stick you're supposed to put inside it. Aunt JoJo was saying, "I should contact the company, and say, 'Congratulations, you ruined my nephew's childhood!'" :D


:)


Awww....
When Ralphy's dad is gone, he looks for the next best thing. Apparently, this time, it was my mom!



Our gorgeous view
Ralphy, the kindest dog in the world.




We also met up with my nana, who was in the Outer Banks with some friends, and went to the Wright Brothers Museum.










Photo starring... Aunt Mary, Ben, Matthew, Bobby, Ralphy, Uncle Jimmy, Mom, Roby, & Dad.

Dinnertime!





We had Duck Donuts for breakfast a couple mornings, and they were ammaaazzzinnnggggg.


Souvenir shopping & ice cream...
 
On one morning of our trip, Roby and I decided to give boogie boarding a try. I am a bit afraid of the ocean, so I was reluctant to agree to go. But, I'm glad I did! The water was freezing, but after I was in a while, I got used to it. It was so fun, paddling out to where the waves were just about to break, and quickly turning around, so our heads were facing towards the beach. The wave slowly picked us up, and catapulted us toward shore. We always ended up lying on the wet sand on our stomachs, our bathing suits filled with sand and shells, and my hair wet and going everywhere. It was SO. FUN.
Oh, and Uncle Jimmy caught two stingrays!
I completely forgot to take a photo of my new swimsuit, and I'm bummed about that. It is so cute!
 We had such a great time, that we have already reserved the beach house for next year! I have dared everyone to climb the other lighthouse next year. This isn't just any lighthouse, however. This one is two and a half times the size of the lighthouse we climbed this year--- oh yeah, and oh no! Be prepared for a post on that, a year from now!
 Mom & I took a walk on the beach one morning.
 A little treasure so I can remember the day I braved the lighthouse.

My advice for you today, is:
1. There is no such thing as too many photos. ;)
2. Cookies make everything better.
 
...Did you get through this crazy long post? If so, you are awesome. Pat yourself on the back. :)
...Have you ever been boogie boarding? If so, what did you think of it?
...Do you have a crazy family too? :D

16 comments:

  1. I love boogie boarding! It's so fun, and in the country where I live the waves are large and fantastic for things like that.
    It sounds like you and your family had so much fun! :D
    -Elsa :)
    P.S I read the whole post ;)
    P.S.S Your new snow globe is adorable! I collect snow globes so of course I had to say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikr?! Oooh, that's awesome! Oh, we did! :D Woah, that's great! Right before I published this post I actually seriously doubted someone would read through the ENTIRE post. Thank you!! Aw, thanks! How many do you have?

      Delete
  2. We are so. Much. Alike. I HATE heights. This is how I would feel if I went ten FEET up that lighthouse.m😖😫😱 I also have a fear of the water. I like to eat fish, but I don't want to meet one in the ocean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, heights, I know! Can you believe those people who can go hundreds of feet up and still be fine?? Me too! I'm not afraid of the water itself, but.... whatever might be watching me in the water. *shivers*

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time! The part about your dogs bear cracked me up!!! :D
    And I totally agree with you, there are is no such thing as too many pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read through the whole post! And loved it. It looks like you and your crazy family (I have a crazy family too, btw) had an awesome time! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Pat yourself on the back, you're awesome! :) Crazy families RULEEEE!

      Delete
  5. I tagged you for The Infinity Dreams Tag on my blog if you wanna go check it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I'm just getting around to reading this post. You have a really great writing voice and amazing photography skills. My family met up with aunts and cousins on the coast back in October and for not liking the ocean or heights, either, it was very fun!

    As a random side note, it's so cool that we spell our nickname the same :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! Seriously, your words make me SO HAPPY! Ooh, that's awesome! Twins! ;)

      It is! Pretty much everyone named Abigail spells their nickname "Abby", " Abbi", "Abbie" or something of the sort. ;) You have a really nice name, by the way! :D

      Delete
  7. ABIGAIL. these pictures fill my soul right up! oh my goodness, you had quite an adventure. fears are hard to face and you never feel quite brave, but i think you find courage in the quiet decision to step out in faith. so kudos to you on the heights and the ocean ;)

    absolutely loved this post! <333

    with love,
    cally (wordspassingyouby.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, your so sweet! :) I agree with you completely! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely post. I've always wanted to go to a lighthouse, and I love your souvenir

    ReplyDelete